Are you interested in developing artificial populations for digital twins and ABMs?
Yes -> Be sure to apply for a senior researcher position at the Center for Modelling Social Systems: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/243665/forsker-ii-senior-researcher-to-center-for-modeling-social-systems
No -> Do you know someone who is interested in developing artificial populations for digital twins/ABMs?
Yes -> Make sure to forward this advert to them: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/243665/forsker-ii-senior-researcher-to-
No -> Stop wasting you time reading this, it’s clearly not for you! :)
Uncertain -> Maybe the text of the add (below) or writing me a question will help.
Full text of the add:
About the Center for Modeling Social Systems
The Center for Modeling Social Systems (CMSS) is a passionate, interdisciplinary research group at the intersection among cognitive, social, and computational sciences, that works with subject matter experts and policy professionals, to co-create conceptual and computational models for analyzing and predicting societal change. We use a variety of computational methods, but our favorite approach is agent-based modelling (ABM). As part of several multinational consortia, CMSS has been developing computational models on topics related to sustainable development and peaceful societal transitions. Our aim is to provide meaningful scientific contributions to solving present-day societal challenges, often by working together with public policy stakeholders. Outputs from our work include easy to use online platforms on which stakeholders can perform experiments within the constructed artificial societies. In the foreseeable future, we will focus on consolidating our pioneering position in the Norwegian research landscape and strengthen our presence on international arenas.
About the position
The selected candidate will be appointed a full-time position (1,0 fte) as a Forsker II/Senior researcher in the NORCE Kristiansand office. The working language is English, although knowledge of or willingness to learn Norwegian will be an additional advantage.
We are looking for a researcher to complement our CMSS team in working on a variety of upcoming projects. The successful candidate will initially be mainly involved in carrying out quantitative and qualitative research and preparing data to inform agent-based models (or programming models if the candidate has a relevant skillset) for an EU HORIZON project, which begins in the summer of 2023 and studies the design and uptake of novel foods made of alternative protein sources. The modelling effort will be a collaboration between NORCE, who is primarily responsible for programming human adaptive behaviors, and other leading European business institutions developing algae-based protein sources. The goal is to carry out a scalable research approach that guides the product to markets.
There are no teaching obligations. Members of the CMSS team are expected to pursue grant applications and represent NORCE at dissemination events.
Who are we looking for?
Candidates who are motivated to further their career in a leading ABM research unit and contribute to the advancement of the methodology in complex, mixed-methods studies are invited to apply. The successful candidate should be able to work independently and to collaborate with all members of the research team (incl. interacting with international researchers and stakeholders). She/he will be expected to produce high-quality research, contribute to project’s deliverables, write scientific articles published in relevant peer-reviewed journals, and present the results of the research in Norwegian and international contexts.
The successful candidate is expected to start in summer 2023, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Required qualifications & competences:
• A completed or almost completed PhD in a relevant discipline (e.g., demography, econometrics, sociology, computational social science,
psychology, AI, future studies, data science or similar).
• Substantial expertise in carrying out quantitative research (e.g., surveys, networks studies, experiments; incl. conceptualization,
operationalization, sampling, data collection and analysis).
• Interest in learning simulation methods and applying them in social contexts. Previous experience in social simulation is a plus.
• Proven ability to collaborate in multi-, inter- or transdisciplinary research teams, to take the lead in organizing collaborative work, and to work
• Excellent written and oral command of the English language.
Desired Qualifications & competences:
• Experience in qualitative data collection (e.g., stakeholder workshops, focus-group interviews, individual in-depth interviews, games), analysis
techniques and CAQDAS (e.g., Nvivo, MaxQDA, QDAMiner).
• Experience in the integration of various types of data in multi-method research designs (e.g., combining quantitative, qualitative and simulation
• Data visualization skills (e.g., GIS, quantitative data, qualitative data).
• Experience in research with stakeholders, preferably in participatory settings.
• Very good academic writing skills, reflected in publications in high quality international peer-reviewed academic journals in the field.
• Ability to write grant applications.
For the right candidate we offer:
• Joining a highly motivated team of people who love what they do and take joy in it,
• A creative, interdisciplinary, multicultural NORCE environment with excellent development and networking possibilities,
• An opportunity to meaningfully contribute to the pioneering methodological work of a fast-growing research institution,
• Working on stimulating projects that aim to bring about positive changes in complex social systems,
• Support in advancing ABM programming skills,
• Links with other national and international (research) centers,
• Access to innovative infrastructure and resources,
• The chance of developing a solid and stable research career,
• Support in learning Norwegian,
• Competitive salary,
• Good pension and insurance schemes.
How to apply?
Apply electronically by registering your application at jobbnorge.no
The application must include:
• Motivation letter,
• Copies of relevant diplomas and certificates,
• 1-2 research outputs (e.g., journal articles, book chapters, scientific reports),
• 2 reference letters with names and contact information (email, phone number) for the referees.
Application deadline: 1st of June 2023.
Questions can be directed to Head of CMSS, Patrycja Antosz: [email protected]