Advanced Computing for Social Change Institute (USA)
The Advanced Computing for Social Change Institute offers unique opportunities, co-located with professional conferences, for undergraduate students who want to enhance their skillset and create positive change in their community.
The programs recruit students from diverse disciplines and backgrounds who want to work collaboratively to:
- Learn to apply data analysis and computational thinking to a social challenge
- Experience the latest tools and techniques for exploring data through visualization
- Expand skills in team-based problem solving
- Learn how to communicate ideas more effectively to the general public
- Be currently enrolled as a full time undergraduate student at an accredited college/university
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States (for ACSC only)
- Not plan to graduate the semester before or two months after the program
- Have a minimum overall GPA of at least 2.5/4.0 (or equivalent)
- Be able to attend a full challenge or competition during program dates
- Complete the online application form before the deadline
- Students from any undergraduate background are eligible, although some preference will be given to women, minorities, students from majors outside computer science, and students at the sophomore or junior level.
Students will be assigned to teams to ensure a balance of backgrounds, and an advisor will be assigned to each team. The costs of airfare, lodging, meals, and conference registration will be provided.